CCI samples (source) solution not creating dll files

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:55 AM
Edited Aug 8, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Today I downloaded the source code samples for CCI, and noticed that some of the code didn't compile when I compiled the entire solution.  For example, under the .\Ast\Metadata\Sources\ folder, there were several folders.  In Visual Studio, Metadata shows as a folder, and under that folder, there are several namespaces/assemblies.  However, these namespaces/assemblies didn't seem to create a dll when I built the entire solution.  They don't even appear to be under a *.csproj file, so I'm guessing I need to do that manually to create a dll or put this code into my own code, yes?  I see the references to the actual CCI framework throughout, but didn't see these samples being compiled.  Were they supposed to create dll files, or are they not being compiled into namespaces because they are merely samples and showing how they can be used?  If that's the case, that's fine.  But I thought i was missing something.  If someone can point me to the documentation of this source code, and describe how the files in this solution are laid out, that would be great. 

Also, I downloaded the binaries for CCISharp earlier.  Then I used .NET Reflection to see what the CCISharp was all about because I couldn't find the source code for it.  When I looked at it, it seemed completely different from the source code described in my previous paragraph.  What code paths in the solution described above are supposed to be part of CCISharp?

One other question :-)  What does AST stand for? 

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Did you read this: http://ccisamples.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Before%20you%20download%20the%20sources%2c%20READ%20THIS&referringTitle=Home ?

AST stands for Abstract Syntax Tree.

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:38 AM
Edited Aug 8, 2011 at 3:38 AM

Thanks Herman.  No, I did not see those instructions easily visible.

Can you tell me what this code is (and how old it is)?  Should we not use this code?
Downloads tab > click "Latest Build" hyperlink (right side of page) > click on "Sources" hyperlink > click "I Agree" button

To a new person visiting the site, a lot of assumptions need to be made for these instructions.  I guess a typical person viewing the site is concentrated on the Download tab.  It just confused me.

I think it would be clearer if you changed the instructions from this:

Go to the Source Code tab and make sure that you have TortoiseSVN installed. Then simply check out the ccisamples project and open a sample solution in the root directory of the source tree (for example, SmallBasic.sln). Now just get Visual Studio to build the solution (I like to hit the build solution button). It is that easy.

If you want to use the CCI components in a solution that lives in another CodePlex project, or another Subversion repository, simply use the svn:external property to set up a link between the two repositories, and then add the relevant CCI projects to your solution. This technique has been used to make this CodePlex project (ccisamples) import the separate cciast, ccimetadata and xunit CodePlex projects.

To this:

First install TortoiseSVN on your PC.  Then go to the Source Code tab (in the http://ccisamples.codeplex.com site).  Then click on the "connection instructions" hyperlink under the "Source Control" section and use that SVN path for the SVN checkout option.  Once you've checked out the code for the ccisamples project, open a sample solution in the root directory of the source tree (for example, SmallBasic.sln). Now just get Visual Studio to build the solution (I like to hit the build solution button). It is that easy.

If you want to use the CCI components in a solution that lives in another CodePlex project, or another Subversion repository, simply use the svn:external property to set up a link between the two repositories, and then add the relevant CCI projects to your solution. This technique has been used to make this CodePlex project (ccisamples) import the separate cciast, ccimetadata and xunit CodePlex projects.

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2011 at 4:28 AM

I've deleted the downloads and changed the text as suggested.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:22 AM

This CCI project is incredible!  I've only been doing .NET development full time for 6 months now.  I stumbled upon this site when I was reading about System.Reflection on Friday and have spent 15 hours looking at this code all weekend.  I must be a geek!  :-)